Saturday, November 6, 2010

Red wine and potato soup

One of my favourite quick and simple lunch dishes. The amounts given here makes about 2 large bowls, or enough for 1 person in my book :)

Ingredients:
3 potatoes
About 6 mushrooms
1/4 an onion
1 vegetable stock cube
Olive oil
A large glass of red wine

Cooking:
1) Slice the mushrooms thinly, and the 1/4 of a regular-sized onion also into thin slices.
2) Put some olive oil in a saucepan and heat it on medium temperature on the hob, then add the mushrooms and onions. Keep stirring until the mushrooms look well cooked and the onions start to smell really good.
3) While that's cooking boil the potatoes seperately and skin them, then slice them into fairly big bite-size chunks.
4) Melt the vegetable stock in a cup of boiling water and add the mixture to the saucepan.
5) Add the red wine, being exact with the amount isn't important but about 1 part wine to 4 parts of the water works well. Add the sliced potatoes.
6) Cook for 10 more minutes still on medium temperature, stirring occasionally, and then it's ready.

3 comments:

  1. this is really cool ^^ It reminds me of what I cooked for you here, only that we took those weird oyster mushrooms and some details ^.^ I'm looking forward to more recipes ~ your background here is pretty nice and fits well to the topic and I like your instructions ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The onions start to smell really good" haha your directions make me smile :)

    This sounds really good, but I'm allergic to mushrooms so I'd have to change it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys :) I think that most people who love to cook prefer doing it in their own way, so when I'm cooking, and writing down the recipes, I never think of things like "put in 150ml, cook on 200c etc.", I just add whatever I think will be right and I guess that informal style comes across in how I write them down too.

    Darja, yeah the "water" part of the soup is very similar to what you cooked for me ^^ I don't remember what else you had in it apart from those unusual mushrooms, but I remember it tasted so good :)
    Heather, this would work just as well without the mushrooms. I usually just go for mushrooms and onions in it as they cook so quickly compared to most other vegetables, but the flavour of the wine mixed with the vegetable stock is the main thing about this dish so it would work just as well with anything else in it.

    ReplyDelete