Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gratin Dauphinois

One of my all-time favourites. So delicious and easy to make. My version differs slightly from the French original which uses Gruyère cheese, but any hard yellow cheese works fine I think, I usually use cheddar and it tastes great with that. It's also different in that I like to half-cook the potatoes first, because that way it cooks faster and it gets rid of the problem of how the potatoes can be getting too brown on top long before they're cooked inside. I also use much less cream, just enough to soak the potatoes and not to fill up the dish. This is much healthier so you have a good reason to eat more of it :)

Ingredients:
6 potatoes
1 small tub of cream
1 clove of garlic
A large chunk of cheddar

Cooking:
1) Boil the potatoes until they're about half cooked.
2) While they're boiling, peel and finely chop the garlic and cut the cheddar into thin slices.
3) When the potatoes are (half-)done, peel and slice them. Start pre-heating the oven to about 200c.
4) Using a round or rectangular dish, lay the potatoes slices out on top of each other as in the picture.
5) Sprinkle the chopped garlic over them.
6) Put a slice of the cheese between each potato slice, and put whatever remaining cheese there is on top.
7) Pour about half a cup of cream over it, moving the cup all over the dish as you pour because the potatoes will get nice and crispy on top when they all have a little of the cream over them.
8) Put in the bottom tray of the oven and cook for about 40 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Yours turned out better than mine! Mine was still good, but it didn't get brown on top haha. I'll have to make it again sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that I gave you this recipe before :) It's funny, I usually have the opposite problem to that, mine goes brown on top too quickly! Maybe when I gave you the recipe before I forgot to include making sure that all of the potatoes and cheese get a little cream on top while you're pouring it, that helps a lot to make it go brown. But like you said it tastes great regardless of that anyway :)

    ReplyDelete