Friday, December 17, 2010

Veggie sausage and bean pasta sauce

One of my favourite pasta sauces. For the veggie sausages, I use my favourite type which are so good I've cooked them for meat-eaters before and they didn't know the difference, but any other type would work too. This is enough for 4 servings.

Ingredients:
6 Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages
6 mushrooms
A slice of butter
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can butter beans
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tablespoons mustard
1 tablespoon of mixed herbs
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Salt
Pepper
A little olive oil

Cooking:
1) Fry the veggie sausages in the olive oil in a deep pan until golden brown. After they're done take them out and keep them seperate for now.
2) Finely chop the onion and the garlic.
3) Chop the mushrooms into thin slices.
4) Add the butter to the pan and put in the chopped onion and garlic, the spoonfuls of sugar and mixed herbs and a little salt and pepper. Cook on medium temperature and keep stirring until the onions are well softened.
5) Once they're ready, add the can of chopped tomatoes, 2 spoonfuls of mustard and the chopped mushrooms.
6) Melt the vegetable stock in a little hot water and add it, stirring it well into the sauce.
7) Put on a lower temperature and put a lid on the pan, leave it to cook for 20 minutes.
8) While that's cooking, chop the sausages into quarters.
9) Taste the mushrooms to see if they're cooked enough, re-cover and cook for longer if necessary.
10) When they're done, add the chopped sausages, the cans of butter beans and kidney beans, and the spoonful of tomato puree. Stir well.
11) Cover it again and cook for 10 more minutes on low temperature.

3 comments:

  1. How come I never see those noodles in the stores here?? I miss them since my childhood ^.^
    'Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages'?? OMG, I thought it was a joke ^0^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. There are so many veggie meats that I really like, usually better than the real thing haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how long it's been since I checked this blog!
    Darja, it's funny that you thought I was joking about the sausages ^^ Linda McCartney has a whole range of vegetarian foods that you can buy here and in the UK. It's sad that those aren't sold there, they are so good and most people think they taste better than meat sausages.
    And it's strange too that those type of pasta shells are difficult to find there, they're one of the most common types here! I like to use them better than spaghetti because the sauce can get inside them and mix better when you stir it all up.
    I agree Heather :) They taste better and in most cases are much healthier too.

    ReplyDelete